Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fight piracy with new technology?

It looks like the movie industry is trying to fight piracy now just like the music industry has been doing for years. I just found an article in the news pertaining to file-sharing and peer-to-peer networks at universities used for sharing these files. Universities are a hotspot for such illegal file sharing activities, and they are the new target to single out for stopping piracy.

There is a new bill that would make colleges create a plan to fight such illegal activities. They are promoting new programs such as Ruckus, which allow downloading I believe, but they are in file formats that are different from the norm. For a fee, you can get a regular format for burning and such, but I would think it would be very easy to get around such measures.

Also, I don't think there will be a whole lot of progress made to stop piracy by using such tactics. It is now pretty much out of control, and I don't see it coming to an end anytime soon. I know my university has already taken actions to do this, but their efforts have not really had any affect as far as I know.

No comments: